I love this simple and super nutritious salad. It is from a fabulous cookbook: The Brain’s Warrior Way Cookbook by Tana Amen and Daniel Amen. If you are serious about being healthy and staying healthy over the years, this book is a must. It provides very powerful recipes to maintain brain health too.
To make this recipe a complete meal, consider topping with leftover bison steak or chicken breast.
Ingredients (serves 2):
• 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice. About 1 lemon
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 teaspoon raw honey or real maple syrup
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• 1/8 teaspoon pepper
• 1 bunch kale, thick stems, removed and cut into bite-size pieces
• 1 pound strawberries, stemmed and sliced
• 2 tablespoons fresh basil or mint, roughly chopped
• ½ cup chopped walnuts
• 1 tablespoon macadamia nut oil
• 2 tablespoon crumbled or shredded goat cheese.
1. In a blender or food processor, combine all ingredients for the dressing. Mix on low speed for 1 or 2 min. Set aside until ready to use
2. Rinse kale and shake off excess water
3. Bring about an inch of water to boil in the bottom of a medium pot. Place kale in a steamer basket and place in boiling water, making sure water doesn’t touch the kale. Cover the pot and allow the kale to steam for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove kale from heat to prevent overcooking. You could also sauté the kale in a pan with tablespoon of macadamia nut oil for about 2 minutes instead of steaming.
4. In a large bowl, toss kale, strawberries, fresh herbs and walnuts with dressing. Top with goat cheese if desired.
5. Serve warm.
Nutritional information per serving:
300 calories, 6.5g protein, 18.4g carbohydrates, 7g fiber, 3.4g sugar, 26.5g fat, 2.7g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 56.3mg sodium.
To get some additional recipes and health tips, remember to subscribe to my blog to receive it in your inbox!
GET EVEN HEALTHIER!
If you have any questions about how you could benefit from health coaching, please schedule a free initial consultation with me. During this session, we will discuss your health and lifestyle to determine how I can best support you in achieving your goals.