Pumpkins have outstanding nutritional value. According to Dr.Fuhrman:
Pumpkins Contain Carotenoids Important for Immune Function
Pumpkins and related squashes are good sources of beta-carotene, alpha-carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin, antioxidants belonging to a group of pigments called carotenoids.
• Carotenoids defend the body’s tissues against oxidative damage, helping to prevent chronic diseases and premature aging.
• Lutein and zeaxanthin are the only known carotenoids located in the human retina. They help protect the eye from damage and improve several aspects of visual performance.
Pumpkin is a Versatile Food
Pumpkin makes a great pie but, don’t stop there. Pumpkin puree can be stirred into soups, stews or chilis. You can whip up a pumpkin smoothie by blending pumpkin puree with a banana, spinach or romaine lettuce, a few dates, some non-diary milk and cinnamon and nutmeg. I recommend cooking your own pumpkin puree or using the puree packed in non-BPA containing cartons.
Pumpkin Seeds are Super Foods
When preparing pumpkin puree or carving a jack-o’-lantern, don’t throw away the seeds. Pumpkin seeds, also known as pepitas, are not only flavorful, they are a super food. Pumpkin seeds are a good source of:
• Omega-3 fatty acids
• Zinc, calcium and iron
If you would like to make a delicious Pumpkin soup, here is a recipe:
• Small Pumpkin (3-4 cups in chunks)
• Quarter of an onion
• 2 organic apples
• 2 cups of water
• 2 cups of organic coconut milk (almond milk works too!)
• Himalayan Salt, black pepper, turmeric, nutmeg, cinnamon to taste
1. Peel and cut the pumpkin into small chunks
2. Peel and cut the onion and apples
3. Put everything in a pressure cooker or similar and add the water.
4. Cook until tender
5. Put the cooked ingredients in a blender (without the water) and mix until very smooth
6. Add the milk and spices to taste. Mix again. Serve and enjoy!!
To get some additional recipes and health tips, remember to subscribe to my blog to receive it in your inbox!
GET EVEN HEALTHIER!
If you have any questions about how you could benefit from health coaching, please schedule an initial consultation with me. During this session, we will discuss your health and lifestyle to determine how I can best support you in achieving your goals.